12/19/03–Viewtiful Joe

Home Forums UltimaLink’s Game of the Day 12/19/03–Viewtiful Joe

This topic contains 7 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  UltimaLink 15 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

UltimaLink

GOTD returns!!lets get to it…

Viewtiful Joe-Gamecube
    Note: The screenshots are from the first 2 levels of the game…I tried not to spoil anything for anyone that wants to play the game.

Alot to say about this game.in my opinion the Gamecube’s best sidescroller…well GC really doesnt have many to start out with but, one of the best platformers to date as of far this generation.i rented it a month ago, i got up to the final boss, and i can say that this game is very exciting and entertaining.its nearly perfect.it draws some elements from games like Double Dragon (beat m ups), Devil May Cry(using collectables to buy new abilities, some moves are the same,etc), and some others.im getting this for christmas and i can say i love it…now for the review to make up for all the time i havent posted a game of the day….

Gameplay:
    You play as Joe, a movie fanatic turned superhero. Like most side-scroller beat-them-ups, Joe uses only his punches and kicks as weapons. However, this is not your standard beat-them-up. Besides playing as Joe, you get the ability to transform into ”Viewtiful Joe”, which is Joe’s superhero form. Besides getting a really neat looking costume, Joe’s punches and kicks do more damage, and he gets the ability to double jump. This is determined by the ”VFX” meter (which rises when you’re not using any of the special moves, and lowers sharply when you are). The VFX meter can be increased, allowing you to use your special moves for longer. However, if it ever reaches zero, you go back to playing as regular Joe until the first bar fills up, so you have to use VFX wisely. Besides the standard attacks, Joe gets 3 kinds of special moves- Slow Motion, Speed Up, and Zoom In. Now, you’d think that these moves would be like Max Payne, where you only used them to make combat slightly easier. The same goes for Viewtiful Joe, but combat is not all that the moves are used for.

Slow Motion is like Bullet Time from Max Payne. When you use it, everything on the screen goes really, really slow. This is most useful in combat (as Joe is pretty much invincible to enemy attacks while in Slow Motion), but is also used in the many puzzles hidden around the game. Slow Motion can do things like make dropping water bigger (allowing the huge water drop to do things like press switches), make certain platforms fall, and more. The really neat thing about Slow Motion is the blur effects on everything. Likewise, Fast Motion does exactly the opposite (makes fires go down, allows Joe to punch and kick so fast that he can light things on fire, and lets Joe run REALLY, REALLY fast). The last mode is Zoom In, which besides looking really, really awesome allows you to do attacks you couldn’t normally do.

Also, the enemies in Viewtiful Joe actually require strategy. Some enemies can only be beaten in Slow Motion, or only in Zoom In. These tactics make the game all the more fun, and set it apart from most similar games. The bosses and mini bosses also require the same level of strategy.

The puzzles in Viewtiful Joe are challenging without being abnormally hard. I never once had to look at a Walkthrough for this game (not like there are any up right now), and most of the puzzles I could figure out how to do in around fifteen minutes.

The other good thing about Viewtiful Joe is the River City Ransom style upgrade system. During battle, you get ”Viewtifuls” (cash) for performing moves on enemies. In Slow Motion, it’s not unheard of to get five hundred to a thousand of these (and you only get ten per hit). With these Viewtifuls, you can buy new moves, upgrade your life bar, or buy many other useful items. The Viewtifuls are especially useful on ”Adult” (hard) mode, where you die very, very fast

Story:
    The storyline of Viewtiful Joe is sort of like that of Earthworm Jim. The game is funny without the whole thing being a total joke, and is serious when it wants to be. While the storyline is pretty standard (Joe is caught in a movie, trying to save his girlfriend), the plot really works out to be it’s own thing.

Graphics:
    The graphics is where Viewtiful Joe SHINES. Although the game is two-dimensional, and very cartoony looking, the graphics are done in a very tasteful way, and almost look fully 3d at some points. Just some of the eye candy in the game includes things like the intro (which actually LOOKS like an old movie. You can actually see the semi-blurriness of it, and the edges of the film on the screen. However, this only adds to the overall graphical value). If you turn back to Regular Joe, the screen blurs out a little bit, making the game look more 3d, but when you change back to Viewtiful Joe, it goes back to being smooth 2d. Even though the game is two dimensional, the level of detail is very high. The buildings in Level Two actually have signs on them, and they’re clearly visible, even though you’d think they wouldn’t be. Even the facial expressions are visible, which doesn’t happen even in some three dimensional games.

Music:
    What Can I say about the Sound? It has great music and the animation sounds are just as great. I love hearing a punch or a kick. The sound also changes during slow motion to make it sound like the punches and kicks during this mode have much more of an impact. In mach mode, the sound speeds up. It keeps up well with the game and it’s just great overall.

Phew.
    Now, for the ratings…(from http://www.gamerankings.com)

IGN 9.5 out of 10 95.0%
    Game Revolution A- 90.0%
    Game Zone 9.4 out of 10 94.0%
    Gamespy 5 out of 5 100.0%
    GameSpot 9.2 out of 10 92.0%
    Gaming Age A 95.0%
    Games Domain 4 out of 5 80.0%
    GamePro 5 out of 5 100.0%
    Electronic Gaming Monthly 8.67 out of 10 86.7%
    Nintendo Power 5 out of 5 100.0%

Trienish
    Participant

What, no cons? For one, I hear the save points are far apart, and sometimes you have to go a few levels before you can save. That must be pretty frustrating.

Gman
    Keymaster

Sounds like a lot of fun… I can’t play it though……. :(

Ranman311

@trienish wrote:

What, no cons? For one, I hear the save points are far apart, and sometimes you have to go a few levels before you can save. That must be pretty frustrating.

for shame! thats not a con. that separates the true gamers from the punks who need saves every 5 seconds

back in the day all the urber leet games didnt have saves you had to leave your system on all night long! THAT’S WHAT I’M TALKING ABOUT BABY

UltimaLink

Trienish, this is one of those harder games….and thats a good thing.Games are getting too easy these days.
    And no, you dont have to go a few levels without saving.In most levels, there is a save before, mid(save at midpoint where you can also upgrade abilities,etc) and after the level.
    in a few, you have to go through a whole level without saving, which is very hard in some levels, but its worth it and it makes you feel like you accomplished something in all.and thats just on Kids mode, the next difficulty is Adult, and i hear its much harder on that.

Trienish
    Participant

@ranman311 wrote:

for shame! thats not a con. that separates the true gamers from the punks who need saves every 5 seconds

back in the day all the urber leet games didnt have saves you had to leave your system on all night long! THAT’S WHAT I’M TALKING ABOUT BABY

I’ve lost a number of controllers to games like that. And besides, I’d rather play a game that required true skill to beat, rather than one that simply deprives you of save points in order to increase the difficulty.

Gman
    Keymaster

I lost my left arm to Vice City.

Ranman311

war is hell

Trienish
    Participant

That’s what she said…

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.