Game of the Year 2003

Home Forums UltimaLink’s Game of the Day Game of the Year 2003

This topic contains 45 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  UltimaLink 15 years, 5 months ago.

  • Author
    Posts
  • #2030

    UltimaLink
    Member

    Well here it is.Place your votes!

  • #8580

    Trienish
    Participant

    I haven’t finished X-2, so I really don’t feel like selecting that as a GotY just yet…so Prince of Persia it is.

    I could never bring myself to choose Amplitude as a GotY. Sure it’s fun…but it’s just way too simple. Press buttons to a beat? Amplitude is better as a multiplayer game anyway…

    And let me ask you, am I the only one really confused as to why Wind Waker is being given GotY by websites when it is probably the worst Zelda game in the series? This is coming from someone who thinks Link to the Past is the greatest game ever made, but Wind Waker is just pitiful. I couldn’t even bring myself to finish it. Oh well…at least the Metroid series is still going strong…

  • #8584

    ShiznitBeast
    Member

    I refuse to vote, because the game that was selected as GoTY at the VGA’s hasn’t even been selected as a nominee!! Sure it’s my favorite game… but you have to admit, the game has a ton of great features and deserves, at least, a nomination. Millions of people buy it for a reason. And, above all, games like Viewtiful Joe and Jak II were nominted. I’m disgusted.

  • #8585

    Gman
    Keymaster

    By any SLIGHT chance, are you talking about a certain Madden? :D

  • #8588

    Trienish
    Participant

    Any awards show run by a television network called Spike TV is not to be taken seriously. Also, most years websites like IGN and Gamespot declare ESPN Football (formerly the 2K series) the best football game of the year.

    Madden may still be a great football game, but because it’s a sports game it’s like an unwritten rule that it can not be declared Game of the Year. With Madden you know what you’re getting ever year, it’s a football game. Each new game is more of an expansion pack on the last version, you get updated rosters, new features, but the basis always stays the same. The only way for that basis to change is if football itself is changed. That’s why sports games have their own category. Just like I could never say Amplitude is a Game of the Year, I could never say that a sports game should even be considered for Game of the Year.

  • #8595

    ShiznitBeast
    Member

    Take it from me, the resident sports gamer, Madden ’04 is simulation at it’s finest. ESPN IS GARBAGE!!! That’s not even a biased opinion. I’m open to all different kinds of sports games, but ESPN… BLECH! Gameplay is not unsimilar to that of early 90’s PSX Maddens. Not to mention the simplicity of ESPN’s franchise mode is ripped to shreds by Maddens. A ridiculously advanced new Playbook Creator, new General Manager Mode, New Owner Mode (In which you’re responsible for all kinds of profit margins), and the most realistic ways of monitoring a player’s progression. It’s like Sim Football, with amazing game play. Madden ’03 and Madden ’04 are like night and day! If a new football game shouldn’t be on the list, then I think ALL sequals should be disqualified, for their sequals are practically the same game as the first, right? That includes… Jak 2, Wind Waker, Max 2, Both Final Fantasies, Smack 6, Need for Speed UG, Tony UG, and Star Wars. Leaving Prince of Persia, Manhunt, and Viewtiful Joe for your only nominees…. Something doesn’t seem right.

  • #8596

    Gman
    Keymaster

    Although Football’s not my savvy, I do agree Madden has nice graphics and it looks like it has good gameplay, that is, if I knew what I was doing. When I heard you can go in deep and set prices for cheerleaders and hotdogs, you know they put detail into the game, so I guess it deserves some respect for that. As for the other nominees, Jak 2 added some features I noticed that make it cool, like transforming into Dark Jak, and the added Hoverboard and Hovercars. Wind Waker, if you wanna call that a graphical approvement, then be my guest, but Cel-shaded link looks like complete ass to me. Max 2, yeah, that’s the same, just different story. Both Final Fantasies, X-2 I haven’t played much of to really explain it’s difference, but from what I did play, I’d have to say that X-2 is friggin weird as hell, I’ll just leave it like that. Smack 6, c’mon, bra-and-panties, Smack got lots of updated graphics and roster updates, but technically nothing changed drastically besides the control scheme. Need for Speed UG, I think that game was great… not a lot of people play it though, don’t know why. It breaks off from the normal NFS environment, and it’s like a really fun fake simulation of a real-life street racing. Tony UG, put you face in the game, and customizable stuff was awesome, the levels were fun also, but I don’t know what’s left in tony games that they’ll be able to improve or add. Prince of Persia, was alright, I felt it was very annoying. A game that lets you roll back time isn’t really something to make a game great… it’s like saying, wow, I didn’t like how that pass was thrown, let’s roll back time and redo the down. Doesn’t work for me. Manhunt, never played or saw anything of and same goes for V Joe. While I enjoy Blitz more for a fun time, Madden is the best “real” interpretation of a football game, but overall, I’d still say Amplitude, granted on the fact of how much we played it over the course of this year, every LAN party, every movie party, and every other “excuse for a party :)”, the Tude got busted out and played for hours-on-end. And it’s not all “pressing buttons to a beat”, cause you can take it online and you can make your own remixes of the songs… then take those online as well. What I’m really wondering is where Kwaz and the Bases Loaded 2 game is…

  • #8597

    Trienish
    Participant

    This is the way I feel about some of the games.

    Amplitude – The game is more multiplayer based, so I don’t really consider it for a GOTY. When I think Game of the Year, I’m strictly evaluating the single player aspect of a game.

    Final Fantasy XI (PC) – This game has no single player whatsoever, so I don’t think it’s really fair to have it on the list.

    WWE Smackdown Here Comes the Pain – This one doesn’t bother me so much because it’s not a traditional sports game.

    Need for Speed Underground – See above.

    Tony Hawk’s Underground – See above.

    And I didn’t say sequel when referring to Madden, I said expansion pack. It’s the same game with some extra bells and whistles added on to make it appealing. Sequels typically introduce something new to a series, a new story, new characters, weapons, worlds, etc. I don’t know how you can even consider naming a game that’s been remade over 10 times a GOTY.

  • #8598

    squiergfx
    Member

    um im gonna go a differnt direction and say need for speed underground

  • #8600

    Ranman311
    Moderator

    i <3 this topic

    btw, smackdown here comes the pain is smack 5 not smack 6

    sorry but that was getting on my nerves :-P

    @trienish wrote:

    This is the way I feel about some of the games.

    Amplitude – The game is more multiplayer based, so I don’t really consider it for a GOTY. When I think Game of the Year, I’m strictly evaluating the single player aspect of a game.

    i don’t know about you, but when i evaluate a game i look at the fun factor and pretty much everything else seems less relevant. single player, multiplayer, graphics, sound, story, sequel, expansion pack, whatever it doesn’t matter. we do play games to have fun after all, correct? i wholeheartedly voted for ‘tude because i had the most fun with it year… therefore game of the year.

  • #8602

    ShiznitBeast
    Member

    Hayes… you REEK of contradiction and hypocrisy. You claim that you “know what you’re getting with every new madden”. Yet you have the gall to say that Smack 5 is “OK”. Talk about the same game over and over…

  • #8605

    jfmangano
    Moderator

    Call me crazy, but Madden 2004 is a very good game, and I would say it deserves a nomination. I happen to royally suck at it, and I still enjoy it. Why?

    1. Football rules.
    2. So much is customizable, including teams, players, playbooks, franchises and stadiums.
    3. You need to play a complete game and know where all your players are going to be effective. For rookies like me, one-player does not get boring.
    4. The multiplayer mode ain’t too shabby either.
    5. There are numerous ways to hone your skills outside of “competition,” including the Mini-Camp, Two Minute Drill and Practice modes of play.
    6. Refer to Point #1.

  • #8613

    Trienish
    Participant

    @shiznitbeast wrote:

    Hayes… you REEK of contradiction and hypocrisy. You claim that you “know what you’re getting with every new madden”. Yet you have the gall to say that Smack 5 is “OK”. Talk about the same game over and over…

    I didn’t say “Hell yeah, Smackdown should be on that list.” If it was up to me, the game wouldn’t be up there. Yes, Smackdown is the same game every year, and that’s why I’ve stopped buying it. It’s the same reason why I don’t buy sports games anymore or Tony Hawk games, because it’s always the same game. The only reason I said okay to them being on the list was because they are not traditional sports games.

    When I think of game of the year, I try to think what original game was the most fun for me to play. Multiplayer games are almost always more fun to play than single player games. If you asked me what game I has the most fun with this year, it’d be Amplitude. Hell, I probably had more fun playing Chicken Pong then playing some of the single player games that came out this year. That’s why I just look at the single player aspect of the game, it gives me something to evaluate every game evenly.

    And also, I don’t know why I’m arguing about a GOTY poll with a person who only buys one game a year…

  • #8616

    jfmangano
    Moderator

    You know, after Strong Bad’s latest E-mail, I think we should put some of his video games in the running. “Obvious exits are NORTH, SOUTH and DENNIS.” :lol:

  • #8619

    squiergfx
    Member

    why cant i get the flask !!!!!!!!!!!!! :( :cry: :lol:

  • #8622

    Ranman311
    Moderator

    @trienish wrote:

    @shiznitbeast wrote:

    Hayes… you REEK of contradiction and hypocrisy. You claim that you “know what you’re getting with every new madden”. Yet you have the gall to say that Smack 5 is “OK”. Talk about the same game over and over…

    I didn’t say “Hell yeah, Smackdown should be on that list.” If it was up to me, the game wouldn’t be up there. Yes, Smackdown is the same game every year, and that’s why I’ve stopped buying it. It’s the same reason why I don’t buy sports games anymore or Tony Hawk games, because it’s always the same game. The only reason I said okay to them being on the list was because they are not traditional sports games.

    When I think of game of the year, I try to think what original game was the most fun for me to play. Multiplayer games are almost always more fun to play than single player games. If you asked me what game I has the most fun with this year, it’d be Amplitude. Hell, I probably had more fun playing Chicken Pong then playing some of the single player games that came out this year. That’s why I just look at the single player aspect of the game, it gives me something to evaluate every game evenly.

    And also, I don’t know why I’m arguing about a GOTY poll with a person who only buys one game a year…

    yea but chicken pong wasn’t released this year, so bad example silly billy. if you’re gonna get so anal about this why dont we just divide it into multiplayer and single player goty.

  • #8623

    Gman
    Keymaster

    silly billy!

  • #8626

    Trienish
    Participant

    @ranman311 wrote:

    yea but chicken pong wasn’t released this year, so bad example silly billy. if you’re gonna get so anal about this why dont we just divide it into multiplayer and single player goty.

    I just used Chicken Pong because it’s a game that we didn’t really play all that much this year, but yet, I still had more fun with it then I did with some of the single player games.

    Personally, I don’t care if Amplitude wins. It’s not like I can’t accept Amplitude winning. I’ve just been mainly arguing with Dave because he was so adamant that Madden be on the list.

  • #8630

    Ranman311
    Moderator

    ah ok i smell it

  • #8631

    Trienish
    Participant

    Whatever you smell, it wasn’t me.

  • #8633

    squiergfx
    Member

    whoever smelt it delt it ?

  • #8636

    Gman
    Keymaster

    scott baio?

  • #8637

    UltimaLink
    Member

    Meh, I didnt want to include a football game in here, because the next year is just another improvement on what has been, and so and and so on.When I think GOTY, its more of an original game, not simply what Madden 2004 is.I havent played it, hey I dont even play much sprots games at all.But even if it is that good, I will go back to my reasoning that this is for original games, not an update from something the year before.Because, what will Madden 2004 be when 2005 version is out? Forgotten, just as it always has been, the mainstream opinion and sales will go to the next one wihile the other is not praised anymore.So that is why its not on there.

  • #8642

    Gman
    Keymaster

    @ultimalink wrote:

    sprots

    :lol:

  • #8650

    jfmangano
    Moderator

    @ultimalink wrote:

    When I think GOTY, its more of an original game, not simply what Madden 2004 is.

    But, many of the games on the list are sequels or part of an ongoing series. I find your reasoning and apostrophes flawed.

  • #8651

    Trienish
    Participant

    @Weirfan66 wrote:

    @ultimalink wrote:

    When I think GOTY, its more of an original game, not simply what Madden 2004 is.

    But, many of the games on the list are sequels or part of an ongoing series. I find your reasoning and apostrophes flawed.

    Arg…I feel like screaming at you because I already tried explaining this.

    @trienish wrote:

    And I didn’t say sequel when referring to Madden, I said expansion pack. It’s the same game with some extra bells and whistles added on to make it appealing. Sequels typically introduce something new to a series, a new story, new characters, weapons, worlds, etc. I don’t know how you can even consider naming a game that’s been remade over 10 times a GOTY.

    Look what you’ve made me do Joe. I had to quote myself when you could have read what I posted the first time, and this scenario could have been avoided entirely.

  • #8653

    jfmangano
    Moderator

    OK, so maybe I scanned a little too much through your post. But, still, are you trying to tell me that the Final Fantasy games don’t feature the same type of RPG format from game to game? Whatever. You win. I hate arguing.

  • #8654

    Trienish
    Participant

    I’ll admit, certainly there are similarities between the battle systems, but you can’t say that it is the same system being used continually. I can’t speak for the games one through four, but of the ones I have played, only Final Fantasy VI and Final Fantasy IX feature very similar formats. But even then, Final Fantasy IX clearly defines each characters role (white mage, summoner, thief) while Final Fantasy VI allows for more customizability. The Final Fantasy battle system is shaped around the Active Time Battle format, in that each character must wait a certain period of time before attacking (as opposed to a turn based format where all characters take turns attacking). However, the system for learning magic and skills, the weapons, the characters, the story, and the world is always changing with each new game.

  • #8657

    Gman
    Keymaster

    I have a great idea… how ’bout you pick a game from the list and stop arguing about every little detail! Don’t call it game of the year… call it “favorite game out of that list” and be at peace with the world.

    Just an idea though… :D

  • #8658

    Trienish
    Participant

    @trienish wrote:

    I haven’t finished X-2, so I really don’t feel like selecting that as a GotY just yet…so Prince of Persia it is.

    God damn…people, stop making me quote myself.

  • #8665

    squiergfx
    Member

    my head hurts

  • #8669

    jfmangano
    Moderator

    Gary does make a valid point. We should all work toward peace. Or get a piece of cheesecake. One of the two. All I know is I’m hungry.

  • #8672

    Gman
    Keymaster

    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm….

  • #8737

    UltimaLink
    Member

    we need more votes here :?

  • #8740

    Ranman311
    Moderator

    @Gman250 wrote:

    I have a great idea… how ’bout you pick a game from the list and stop arguing about every little detail! Don’t call it game of the year… call it “favorite game out of that list” and be at peace with the world.

    Just an idea though… :D

    i have a better idea… how ’bout i give you the finger, and you give me my phone call!

  • #8743

    ShiznitBeast
    Member

    Not a single one of you can discount Madden 2004 as a legit GOTY candidate simply because you’ve never played it! And in my book, if a game is good, it’s good! I don’t care how much it is like its predecessors, even though it really isn’t, it’s still AWESOME! Hell, I don’t care if it’s the same game with a different title… if it’s better than the rest, it’s still a GOTY candidate in my opinion.

  • #8744

    Trienish
    Participant

    Thank you for restating your opinion…

  • #8764

    ShiznitBeast
    Member

    Actually… I re-supported it as well.

  • #8765

    Trienish
    Participant

    Meh…it was just the same stuff you’ve been saying.

  • #8767

    ShiznitBeast
    Member

    You know I’m right Nancy… that’s the fact. And I have the power of the Spellbinder behind me!

  • #8768

    Trienish
    Participant

    He wouldn’t vote for it though. Even if Madden was up there, it doesn’t matter, Amplitude still wins.

  • #8773

    ShiznitBeast
    Member

    That’s not my argument… that “Joe would vote for Madden if it were up there”. But he, and a few others, believe that Madden should be up there.

  • #8808

    squiergfx
    Member

    shut up already !!!!!!!!

  • #8825

    ShiznitBeast
    Member

    all those in favor of SquireNancy shutting up, say boner.

  • #8826

    Gman
    Keymaster

    i got a boner for christmas!

  • #8828

    Ranman311
    Moderator

    hey gary, remember last year when you got me an orgasm for christmas? i’m wearing it right now! :D/

  • #8831

    Trienish
    Participant

    I always wanted one of those. I never got it though, and that’s when I realized that Santa was an elaborate fraud. Damn you Hollywood for making me believe all those Christmas movies were true stories!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.